Is a proven research-based program developed and continually improved by UCSMP (University of Chicago School Mathematics Project). It is designed as a spiral program that carefully builds upon upon and extends knowledge and skills from one year to the next. It highlights frequent revisiting of concepts and skills taught throughout each grade level to ensure mastery and retention. Abstract and complex mathematical concepts are simplified though lessons that involve games and the use of concrete models.
- Continues linking pasts experiences to new concepts
- Strengthens conceptual understanding and problem solving skills
- Encourages cooperative learning
- Builds fact and knowledge and encourages use of student-inventive algorithms
- Makes use of multiple strategies including exploration and hands-on activities
- Uses various forms of strategic assessments
- Encourages home-school partnership